Inclined Plane - Uses
Grade Level: K-8
VT Grade Expectations
VT S:4 Students demonstrate their ability to CONDUCT EXPERIMENTS by recording relevant details of an object and its surroundings when applicable.
NY Standard 1: Scientific Inquiry
Key Idea 1: Clarify ideas through reasoning, research, and discussion
Content Areas: Science
Recommended Length/Duration: 30-50 minutes
Learning Goals: Students will identify the uses of Inclined Planes in their environment. Students will recognize that Inclined Planes make it easier to lift things.
- This activity can be done in school or for homework.
- The teacher will discuss a variety of places where Inclined Planes are used.
- Review the worksheet and the data students are to record.
- Have students work in groups or individually to identify Inclined Planes used in the school or at home
- Students should answer the questions on their data collection sheet.
- When all students have completed the activity, the teacher should review their findings and develop a class list of all the uses for inclined planes.
Assessments Informal assessment based on participation and task completion.
Materials/Resources: Inclined Plane Uses Worksheet (pdf)
Special Considerations: Some Inclined Planes are wedges. Accept these examples and use them as a segue to introduce this special class of inclined planes.
Extension: Stairs are perhaps the most interesting common inclined planes. Students might enjoy calculating how long a stair case would be if it were not broken up into flights. They might want to try something like the Empire State Building.