Volunteers - We Need You!
Lake Champlain Maritime Museum’s dedicated volunteers play a key role in preserving and sharing the history of Lake Champlain. Every year more than 200 volunteers, ranging in age from junior high school students to retired senior citizens, contribute over 8,500 hours of service to the museum. The annual dollar value of volunteer contributions of time, energy, expertise, and skills is estimated to be almost $120,000; the true value is incalculable!
We have always taken pride that, by the very nature of the museum, we can find a job that will best fit the time, talent, and interest of each and every volunteer. This year, we’re making a special appeal to anyone who might be interested in helping with the following:
Gateway Store: Greeting and Sales
Exhibit and Site Interpreters
On-Water Ecology Assistance
Buildings and Grounds
Museum Representatives at Community Events
Membership Program Assistance
We have many other volunteer needs. We will attempt to match these with your interests; get ready for a busy season of visitations, courses, workshops, special events, and school programs!
How to get started
Fill out the form below, and we'll be in touch soon to match you with a program:
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
We always have a need for volunteers. We have a broad range of opportunities, only a fraction of which are listed here:
- Join the Committee that Organizes and runs the annual fundraiser Gala Raffle
- Help with the LCMM membership program
- Interpret in our Blacksmith Shop, on board the Philadelphia, and in our exhibits
- Learn to conserve artifacts from archaeological projects in the Conservation Lab
- Respond to each call of "All hands on deck!" for our Special Events (see above)
- Help to maintain, restore, and document the small boats, canoes, and kayaks in our collection of regional watercraft
- Add a section of our library or our collections to the digital catalog
- Interpreting Lake Champlain history, nautical archaeology, and the process of conserving artifacts.
- Building, repairing, and restoring boats
- Constructing boat models and full-sized replicas
- Conserving artifacts
- Researching Lake history
- Providing support in the administrative offices
- Working in the Museum Store
- Helping with admissions, parking, visitor services, and site preparation for special events
- Performing specialized professional skills in fields such as construction, technology, public relations, human resources, and Web site design.
- Interpret aboard the schooner Lois McClure
LCMM volunteers truly make a difference in the ability of the museum to successfully carry out its mission. But helping to preserve and share the history of Lake Champlain is just one of the many reasons why people volunteer at LCMM.
- Share skills
- Learn new skills
- Be part of a team
- Make new friends
- Feel needed
- Make an impact
- Be challenged
- Feel good
- Keep busy
- Do something different
- Help others
- Stand up and be counted
- Just for the fun of it!
To Volunteer at LCMM Contact:
(802) 475-2953 (fax)
|LCMM Volunteer Program
4472 Basin Harbor Road
Vergennes, VT 05491